Saturday, September 10, 2011

First Day of School


We decided to officially start school Friday, September 9th, the first day of library storytime for the semester. James had voiced that he really wanted a backpack. Attempting to be the thrifty mom that I am, I thought that I would wait until the school year had started to buy a backpack that was on clearance. That did not work in my favor! Most stores were either sold out or only had the less-than-desirables left. Luckily my mom, who lives in the town next to ours found the one! We put a few school things in the different compartments for James to discover; scissors, crayons, etc.

He was thrilled:
The next morning, we took obligatory first day of school pictures:

Laura got in on some too:

After our photo shoot, James and I went to the library. On a normal library day (because have been going to storytime before we started 'homeschooling') Laura would have joined us, but because I wanted this day to be special for James, he and I went alone while Laura stayed home with dad.

While at the library, James got his very own library card-safely kept in his backpack, we also checked out our book for Before Five in a Row for next week. Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear (more on BFIAR later!) as well as others he picked out. James made it through storytime, with the need for some redirecting, I assume from taking the summer off.

After lunch, naps, and some playing, we did a little more 'school'. I gave James some paper and his new safety scissors and let him have at it:


No comments:

Post a Comment